Friday, November 17, 2006

If I'm Sick, Take Me To The Vet

I had to take Molly to the vet yesterday. She has had kennel cough for about three weeks, and it seems to be getting worse.

I really admire vets. I have taken our pets to a number of them through the years. I know this is somewhat of a generalization, but I have found them to be so much more compassionate and concerned for their patients than MD's are for theirs. Now before anyone gets after me, I have very close friends who are MD's, and I am grateful for what doctors do for us. It must be one of the most stressful jobs there is. But I think that human doctors, in general, could learn a lot by observing a vet's "bedside manner."

____________________

Tonight, I am going with a buddy of mine to Texas Indoor Golf in Grapevine. You can play a simulated game of golf -- choosing from over 60 of the greatest courses in the world. I don't know where my friend will want to play. And looking over the list, I'm not sure either. Augusta is not on it or I would probably choose that. But Pebble Beach is. And St. Andrews. Also the beautiful course Beverly and I saw in Cabo San Lucas. So who knows where we will be "traveling" tonight.

4 comments:

Bev Ross said...

Thanks for taking such good care of Molly. I am so glad she went to the dr.
Hope you have a blast tonight!

Matt said...

Hey Rick,
Just found your blog today and enjoyed reading some of the previous posts. Hope all is well, and hope to see ya'll soon.

Anonymous said...

Remember when owning a dog involved only making sure the table scraps got throw in his direction? Now it's yearly checkups and vacinations and hundreds of dollars annually. When I liberated our Molly and Scooter from the FW animal shelter they did a background check (called the vet here in Decatur and make sure we took good care of our other dogs), gave me intructions relating to introducting the new dogs to the old dogs gradually (Snowball started wagging her tail when she saw Molly and Scooter for the first time and basically hasn't stopped), and informed that the food I buy from Walmart for the dogs wasn't good enough - I needed to drive into FW to a pets mart and buy something better.

Unknown said...

If I remember correctly, Kramer on Seinfeld agreed with you about the vets. Any guy who can take care of a horse, cow, dog and chicken on the same day can surely handle a human.:) Not even factoring in bedside manner, vets are by far the smartest doctors. Before you know it, you'll be taking your dog to a vet cardiologist, vet neurologist, vet rheumatologist, well, you get the picture.