Monday, March 05, 2007

Confession Time

There are certain issues that I confess my faith is weak in. I am so engrained with the American ideal of "I have to be in charge and do it all on my own."

I got a late start in my retirement planning -- after raising three kids, putting them all in braces, paying car insurance, then college and weddings, etc. So now, I am doing what I can to prepare for that. I sometimes think I am on target to retire at age 70, perhaps. Then, something like last week strikes. The stock market is taking a nose dive, which is expected to continue today. I'm thinking of how much I have lost. Beverly reminds me that I didn't lose it, because it was never really mine. But I saw the amount on my daily report, and it sure seemed like mine:).

In my moments when I am being led by the Lord, I realize that there are some things I cannot control. I am doing what I can, and just like millions of others -- am subject to things outside of my control. The Lord is wanting me to surrender that to Him anyway. He has always proven to be faithful to me. Why should I doubt Him now?

But it is an ongoing battle between my fleshly nature and my Spirit nature. May the best man win. And He will!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Retire? I see myself at Wal-Mart entrances until i'm 90.

Rick Ross said...

I'll be at the other entrance. However, I guess when you are 90 -- I'll be 98. Pretty sight, huh?

Jeff said...

Not a pretty sight at all.

This is my daily struggle. I have to do this, I have to do that. I set about doing it but forget to ask God for His help. I wonder why I sometimes feel the stress I do when I forget that help is available if I will only turn and ask.

Anonymous said...

David had his struggles. Paul too-

"What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God—through Jesus Christ our Lord! "

Why would I expect to have an easier time than they did?

Bev Ross said...

Rick Ross, I love your heart! Thank you for sharing your struggle. I will pray that the Lord continues to reveal His hand in your life. Isn't He amazing?!?!? I love sharing life with you. The next decade will be a blast, don't you think?