Monday, August 13, 2007

Vacation Ramblings

The Lord truly blessed my family with a wonderful week of rest and rejuvination. Beverly and I really needed it! I began the vacation with a stomach virus (24-hour variety). But I was long over it by the time all the family got together. Then Josh and all of his family passed it around. Thankfully, it was fairly shortlived for all of us.

I played a lot of golf and went tubing (it was a blast!) And I read a Grisham novel, The Partner. I think it was the only book of his I had not read. I usually really like his stuff -- and I enjoyed reading this one too. But the ending left me very unsettled. I would like to rewrite it.

As much as I enjoyed vacation, it is still good to be back home. Time together with the church yesterday reminded me of just how blessed I am to be where I am.
____________________

Well, Tiger Woods won yet another major yesterday. He very easily could have won three this year. He now has 13 in his pursuit of Jack Nicklaus' record of 18 -- a record that once seemed untouchable. Tiger is several years ahead of Nicklaus' pace. He is already approaching Arnold Palmer's total wins count, which would place him 3rd on the all-time list behind Nicklaus and Sam Snead. And he is only 31!
____________________

And Barry Bonds is now the home run king. I know I have discussed this before, but I sure wish he didn't have the steroid thing hanging over his head, because he would have gone down as perhaps the greatest ballplayer in history if he had continued on his pre-steroid pace.
____________________

Summer has finally arrived! Today is projected to be 105. And it is supposed to be over 100 all week. At least it's mid-August, and we only have about a month of this left. But the lakes are full!

I did hear that the weather service is projecting a hurricane to hit the Gulf next week some time. Go fill your gas tank today, because the oil companies will raise their prices just thinking about the possibility of that excuse.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back! It sounds like you had a great time.

WOW! It sounds hot! People think Florida is hot - but we never break 100. Summer high temps are usually in the low to mid 90's.

Golf. It's a dirty word right now. I played the other day and it looked like I had never picked up a club. At least I didn't hit the century mark, but too close for my comfort (92).

Jeff said...

You had a great message yesterday morning and it was good to have you back.

Never mind Tiger and Bonds, did you see how Watkins Glen finished yesterday? Thrilling.

I have this feeling that summer may go into September this year.

Anonymous said...

Golf - don't care.
Bonds - don't care.

But, really great sermon yesterday. I felt blessed to hear it and it brought me back to the themes of very best sermons I heard growing up in western Oklahoma.