Thursday, August 23, 2007

News, Sports and Weather

Wow! The Rangers scored 30 runs last night! That's the most by a major league team in 110 years. I used to be a huge Houston Astros fan (back in the 80s and early 90s). That would have been a good two weeks worth of runs for them. I remember one year, Nolan Ryan had an ERA of 1.69 at the all-star break -- but his record was like 6-12 because he had no run support.
____________________

When we get to this time of year (the dog days of August), I am reminded that my favorite season is just around the corner. In fact, within the next month we will be getting some cool fronts. In Texas, that means nights down into the 60s and daytime highs in the low 80s. But after the heat of summer, it always feels so good on the skin.
____________________

My youngest grandson will be arriving here tonight at about 10 with his parents. I can't wait to hold the little booger. He's nearly 4 months old! I imagine that he is already asking his parents when he will get to Grampy's house. They are coming in for Beverly's dad's birthday celebration. He turns 80 on Monday.
____________________

Every Thursday morning, I go out to Governor's Ridge (a retirement home) and have a bible study with about 12 of the women and one man. It is such a delight. They are some of the most gracious and grateful people I have ever known. They encourage me so much. I have come to view them as my 2nd church, and I love them dearly.

1 comment:

Jeff said...

Instead of asking how much longer to grampy's house, he's probably saying, "when am I going to see that old booger?"

I am ready for fall. I'm thankful the summer hasn't been too bad but I never get tired of cooler weather and earlier nights.