Monday, November 28, 2005

Still Thinking About Heaven

Last night, I taught a class on the 2nd coming and heaven. I had so much material to present, and so little time. This morning, I'm still thinking about it.

We've all seen the warning labels on cigarettes (or are at least aware of them): "The Surgeon General has determined that cigarette smoking is hazardous to your health." But from a Biblical point of view, every piece of exercise equipment, bottle of make-up, hair-restorer and plastic surgeon's office door should carry Paul's warning found in 1 Corinthians 15: 50: "flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God."

This "earth-suit" is made specifically for my spirit to inhabit here on planet earth. But God has a more permanent suit in store for me. I don't know exactly what it will look like -- but it is imperishable! And I will receive it some day "in the twinkling of an eye." How cool is that going to be?

As I mentioned last night, there is so much speculation about all of this. But even the Apostle John didn't know all the answers. Still, his words bring me so much encouragement. In 1 John 3:2 he says, "what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when he appears, we shall be like him, for we will see him as he is." We will be like Him! And we will see Him!

There is so much too look forward to!

2 comments:

Jeff said...

I'm sorry I missed your class but what a great topic following Thanksgiving. Heaven is something God has for us that is incredible to think about. I cannot imagine the joy that awaits us.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us here.

Anonymous said...

I loved your phrase "earth suit". I've thought about it all day long.