Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Anyone For a Vespa?

This morning "Good Morning, America" had a segment on "Ride to Work Day."  They were reporting on the huge increase in the sale of Vespa's (up 127%!).  

For those who may not know, a Vespa is a motor scooter.  Any time you see pictures of downtown scenes in Asia, you will see hundreds of them.  They get tremendous gas mileage.

So I asked Beverly, "Would you like for me to get you a Vespa?"  She said, "Sure, do you want one, too?"  I said, "No, I'll just use yours.  Because unless the temperature is between 68 and 70, you won't use it anyway."

I have a counseling session this morning:)

But really, it is going to be interesting to watch as the landscape of America changes.  GM is retooling as quickly as possible away from larger vehicles to smaller, more gas efficient cars.  My guess is that mass transit and rapid rail will be on the increase.  We may even see the return of the passenger train.  I can remember as a child traveling by train.  It would be nice to do again.

It may take a few years, but America has always been a nation of ingenuity.  I have no doubt we will figure this energy situation out.  I will be interested to see how T. Boone Pickens' proposal to increase wind energy is received by our politicians.   

I've said it before, but even as tight as I am, I would be willing to pay $5 a gallon for gas if we could tell the Middle East that they can have their oil.  I am sick and tired of us indirectly funding the very terrorists who threaten our nation because of our importing of 70% of our nation's oil.

I better stop.  I'm starting to rant. 
   

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I ride a motorcycle all year long. Of course it's not as economical as a Vespa (about 55mpg), it's a lot of fun to ride.

Bev Ross said...

Hey, that was not a counseling session. It was not an hour long and I didn't get paid - ha! and I would love a Vespa - really!

Anonymous said...

Please Rant...it "validates my ticket" when I use the same logic in discussions with my students.

Unknown said...

I have to admit I didn't even know what a Vespa looks like until I just googled it to find out-- I think it would be cool to have one of those. But with my commute, it would be no match for a rock truck or "Wide Load" hauling some gargantuan gas drilling rig and tank. So, I'll stick to my truck.

Speakning of gas drilling... I think, as a country, we have sort of messed up by not using natural gas more effectively for our transportation needs. The technology is currently available, and while it does have some minor drawbacks, with the proper infrastructrue, we could make it work quite effectively to lessen our dependence on middle eastern crude. I think it would be totally cool to be able to fill up my natural gas powered vehicle at home from the natrual gas pipe that is already in my neighborhood, in my garage, while I am sleeping at night for $2.00/gallon or cheaper. Yes, the technology is currently on the market, but it has only gained popularity in California and the northeast. ANd Honda is the only vehicle manufaturer that is currently making a NGP vehicle.

Rick Ross said...

Kyle,

I have wondered the same thing. I know some would accuse me of being a conspiracy nut, but I have to believe that the oil companies are behind the squelching of any alternative energies.