Thursday, February 15, 2007

Losing Weight

Some of you are aware of my recent discovery that I have high blood pressure. I had gone in to have my teeth cleaned about 6 weeks ago, and my dentist (Kyle Reeves) wanted to get a baseline b/p. It was 160/110. He thought it might simply be white coat syndrome. I said that had never happened before.

Well, I was due for a physical anyway, so I scheduled one for the next week. At the doctor's office, my b/p was again 160/110. My cholesterol was a bit elevated as well. The doctor advised that I exercise every day and lose a few pounds. He also put me on some b/p medication.

This is the first time in my life I have gotten serious about dieting. It is really hard! In the first week, I dropped 10 pounds. I thought, "What's so hard about this?" Over the marriage retreat weekend, I gained back 3. I lost one more this week. So I have now lost a total of 8 pounds (not the direction I want to be headed). It's like after the first 10 pounds, I have hit a wall.

I really miss eating a lot of chips and hot sauce. I miss ordering fried foods. I'm getting tired of grilled or baked chicken and salads. I hate going to bed hungry (not really hungry, but compared to past experience it seems that way).

But I am determined to lose another 10. Hopefully, that will lower both my b/p and cholesterol.

When I get to heaven, I do have a question for God: Why does everything that tastes good have to be bad for you?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My cholesterol is elevated too - and my b/p is borderline. I am now on chol. med's. I am told by the doc that it's hereditary. I hope the med's work!

GO 48!

Anonymous said...

I know someone who by chance is a dietician that will tell you over and over again that diet does not equal chicken, chicken and more chicken salad. It does mean paying closer attention to snacks and portion sizes. But hey what do I know.....

Anonymous said...

Exercise/workout will go a long way to helping your situation. It is a real "pain" at first, but once you set your mind to it and are committed to follow thru the pay-off begins to appear. I like you hit a milestone birthday last year and also had a complete physical in November. Passed with flying colors - which I contribute to running and exercising 3 to 5 times per week. It does take time but it certainly beats the alternative. And..... I can eat that greasy hamburger because I know within 24-48 hours I will work it off. Give it try - what have you got to loose? Mark S.

Anonymous said...

I recommend the "John Scott" Diet...if it looks good, smells good, and/or taste good, DON"T EAT IT!!!!