Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Cuban on Gays In Basketball

Yesterday I had made up my mind that I had to decide by 1 PM whether to go play golf or not. It was still cloudy and rainy at 1, so I started on my taxes. At 1:30 the sun came out. Oh, well. At least I got my taxes done.
____________________

I read with interest Mark Cuban's comments in yesterday's Star-Telegram. Cuban is the owner of the Dallas Mavericks. He said that if an active NBA player would come out of the closet and admit he was "gay," he would be instantly flooded with indorsement offers and would be a national hero. If what he says is true, my, how our culture has changed!

I wonder why the homosexual community chose the perfectly legitimate word "gay" to describe their lifestyle? They appear to be anything but gay (This word used to be a common word for "happy," for those of you under 40).

But here is something that, if I were an African-American, would tick me off. Cuban used the old argument that this athlete who "comes out" would be like Jackie Robinson back in the late 40s -- breaking the color barrier in baseball.

First of all, there are no rules in any sport today saying you cannot play them if you are "gay." That was not the case when Jackie came along. "Coloreds" were not allowed. Period.

Secondly, there is a huge difference here. A person who is discriminated against because he or she was born with a certain color of skin does not compare to a person who has made his or her own lifestyle choice. I know that we have pretty much bought into the "scientific evidence" that there is a gay gene. Sorry, but this has yet to be proved. To make the comparison with racial discrimination mocks the struggles that the African-American community faced for hundreds of years.

Personally, I love what Mark Cuban has done for the Mavericks for the most part. I do think the guy needs to shut his mouth. It probably cost them a championship last year. Dwyne Wade going to the foul line as much as the whole Mavs team could very well have been paybacks by the refs for Cuban's constant public criticism. Further, on this issue I think he is wrong. Even with the erosion of morals in our country, I don't think a gay basketball player is going to be flooded with endorsements. And I hardly think he would be a "hero" -- except to gays.

1 comment:

Jeff said...

Let's see...someone who runs into a building that a plane just flew into to help people out. That's a hero. Someone who gives his life so that others may have freedom. That's a hero. Someone who tells the world they prefer an ______________ (you fill in the blank with alternative, sinful or whatever word you choose) lifestyle - not a hero. Not even close.
Cuban does a great job of self-promotion and all his comment is in my mind is a publicity ploy. It's sad he has come to that. It just makes it easier to not watch the Mavs.