Thursday, September 14, 2006

State Fair Time

Thanks to those who prayed for me last night. I feel like things went well. It's always encouraging to me to share my story and see how many people are relating to it.

Someone last night asked me if I was scared to share such personal information about myself. But, you know, every time I have shared it, the people have been incredible. Sure, there may be someone who goes away thinking, "A preacher who is admitting to depression? Sounds crazy." (no pun intended). But you know -- it just doesn't matter to me any more. I want so much to help people, and God has given me this special avenue. So, I'm not real concerned about my reputation. If my story can help one person to break the shackles of depression, it has all been worth it.

Continue to keep me in your prayers.

_______________________________

I didn't know until this morning that Ann Richards had died. Agree with her politics or not, she was an interesting woman. Certainly had a lot of spunk.

_______________________________

The state fair opens soon. This has become an annual event for Beverly and Malaya and me. (We let David and Jenny come along, too.) I usually try whatever fried concoction is the "in" thing for that year. Last year's fried peanut butter and banana sandwich wasn't bad. Beverly has to have a corn dog and Malaya has to have cotton candy. Of course, a funnel cake and potato curl is a must to share as well.

Any favorites out there?

5 comments:

Bev Ross said...

I LOVE the fair!!!! You covered my favorites! Mark you calendar: we have decided to go on Oct.12 - a Thursday - Malaya is out of school. What do you think? Oh, would it be ok with you to go on that day????

Anonymous said...

I find an irony in one of your statements. You said, "If my story can help one person break the shackles of depression, it has been worth it." Before dad died, he said almost the same thing. I don't remember word for word, but it was basically, "use my story to help someone else that may have my problem."

God bless you! Thank you for sharing.

Jeff said...

I'm glad it went well.

My favorite thing about the fair is avoiding it. It used to be the corn dogs but somewhere around 35, all the people scared me off.

Rick Ross said...

Jeff,

I can so relate. But I go anyway. Beverly makes it worth it.

Rick

Liz Moore said...

I was not a fan of the fried peanut butter and banana sandwich. I hear there are some new crazy fried things this year. Your others I totally agree with. A corn dog or 2 :) is a must!! The corn on the cob is pretty good and we also have to get a spicy sausage on a stick. There is only one place that has the spicy ones and they are awesome! Man, I sure am hungry now!