Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Please Pray for Me Tonight

For a couple of weeks, I have really been obsessed with getting my thoughts together for what I will be sharing at ACU Lectureship next Tuesday. Well, I finally got finished yesterday. I have been asked to share this same information tonight at the Saturn Road Church of Christ. I will be sharing about what it is like to be an ACOA (Adult Child of an Alcoholic). It is amazing how every time I talk on this subject, there will be a number of people who share similar struggles. I want to provide tools for people to be able to overcome.

Please pray that the Lord will use my words beyond simply tonight or ACU.

___________________________

I hope you don't get tired of reading quotes from things I have read. It's just that some days, they hit me so powerfully that I feel compelled to share them. Here is more from Yancey:

He quotes Eugene O'Neill: "Man is born broken. He lives by mending. The grace of God is glue."

Later, he observes: Strangely, God is closer to sinners than to "saints." (By saints I mean those people renowned for their piety -- true saints never lose sight of their sinfulness.) As one lecturer in spirituality explains it, "God in heaven holds each person by a string. When you sin, you cut the string. THen God ties it up agains, making a knot -- and thereby bringing you a little closer to him. Again and again your sins cut the string -- and with each further knot God keeps drawing you closer and closer."

3 comments:

Jeff said...

I know your talk will be a blessing for those who have struggled with alcoholism in their lives and that God is using you to help with this.

Bev Ross said...

I have witnessed you agonize over writing this material. I know it is raw and I can testify to your passion over getting the word of hope out. I am praying for you - that the Lord will use you powerfully and that souls will be moved to step into God's freedom and grace.

Liz Moore said...

I will keep you in prayers. I know God has given you what He wants you to say. I am so disappointed that I didn't read your blog until tonight. I would love to have come to see you since you were so close. May God be with as you speak in Abilene.