Friday, May 22, 2009

Friday Frustration

OK, Rick.  It's Friday morning.  Time to be wrapping up your Sunday sermon prep.  Outline is due for the bulletin in two hours.

And I sit.

The subject is not a difficult one:  Prayer.  The disciples' prayer in Luke 11.  "Lord, teach us to pray."  I've preached the sermon many times.  And therein lies the problem.

How many sermons have we heard about prayer.  We come looking for some formula -- something that will make this spiritual discipline easy.  But the disciplines don't come easily.  And there is no formula to prayer -- other than DO IT.

But I don't know if that's what I should say Sunday.  So I am sitting here wondering what to say to people who have heard countless sermons about prayer -- and yet still struggle with praying.
    

1 comment:

Randy Davis said...

I struggle to pray but I have help.

"26In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express. 27And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints in accordance with God's will."