Monday, September 10, 2007

Give 60!

Yesterday's time together with the Body was incredible! Jacob and I issued a challenge for every member to give 60 minutes -- one hour a week -- in service to the Lord outside of church. Jacob offered several suggestions of ways to serve.

I loved hearing the "buzz" after church. I walked by a group of boys, and one of them said, "I already know what I'm going to do. We have some neighbors -- and the man is on oxygen. I'm going to mow his yard." I had to wipe away a tear.

But it wasn't just the young people. I heard adults discussing ideas for ways they could serve. It was really cool.

Remember: It doesn't have to be something that is "organized." Nor does it have to be anything elaborate. Make some cookies for your neighbors and deliver them. Visit a nursing home.

I would love to introduce "World Bible School" to our church. It is a work overseen by the Westover Hills Church of Christ in Austin. Ads are placed in papers all over the world for bible correspondence courses. The students mail the courses back to be graded, etc. It is very easy to do. You grade their paper, send them the next course and perhaps write them a note of encouragement. Anyone of any age could do it. No telling how many souls have been brought to Jesus through this effort.
____________________

I don't know if it's just me, but did that Cowboy game last night excite anybody about their coming season? We had no problem scoring -- but it was the Giants, after all. But what's with the touted Wade Phillip's defense? Maybe he needs more time. I'm not bashing Wade. I like him so much more than Parcells.
____________________

Tiger continues to amaze me. Yesterday his ballstriking was close to flawless as he cruised to his 6th victory of the season. I am hoping he can win next week and take the FedEx Cup. I'm concerned about his retirement. He needs the $10 million deferred prize money.

2 comments:

Jeff said...

Give 60 was still the topic of discussion at the youth devo last night. That's cool.

I was just happy the Cowboys won. I've learned to be happy when they score more points than the other team.

Bev Ross said...

I cannot tell you how excited I am about Give 60! This will be way fun!