Tuesday, January 30, 2007

The Divine Conspiracy

I tend to be way behind the "hot" TV shows, movies, books, etc. I usually find out about a good TV series after it is in reruns. Movies? The ones I watch are usually in the "old release" section of Blockbuster. And books? I usually read something several years after everyone else was talking about how good it was.

Such is the case with a book I am currently reading: The Divine Conspiracy, by Dallas Willard. In the book, he is calling Christians -- who too often reflect our culture -- to "fly upside down" from the world. As I read this in bed last night, I began to laugh (and cry):

"Commericals, catch words, political slogans, and high-flying intellectual rumors clutter our mental and spiritual space. Our minds and bodies pick them up like a dark suit picks up lint . . . Must one not wonder about people willing to wear a commercial trademark on the outside of their shirts or caps or shoes to let others know who they are? And just think of a world in which little children sing, "I wish I were a [certain kid of] weiner. That is what I really want to be. For if I were [that certain kind of} weiner, everyone would be in love with me."

"Think of what it would mean to be a weenie, or for someone to love you as they "love" a hot dog. Think of a world in which adults would pay millions of dollars to have children perform this song in "commercials" and in which hundreds of millions, even billions, of adults find no problem in it. You are thinking of our world. If you are willing to be a weenie to be loved, what else would you be willing to do? Is it any wonder that depression and other mental and emotional dysfunctions are epidemic? Who is it, exactly, that is flying upside down now?"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have heard of that book, but have never read it. Your introductory comments explain well my situation. I often read books long after everyone else has shelved them. Back when I was blogging I talked about a book called, "A Church That Flies" by Tim Woodruff. If you haven't read it yet, it's worth the purchase.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the comments.

To me, it takes us right back to the discipleship issue.

Anonymous said...

Once the religious, the hunted and weary
Chasing the promise of freedom and hope
Came to this country to build a new vision
Far from the reaches of kingdom and pope
Like good Christians, some would burn the witches
Later some got slaves to gather riches

But still from near and far to seek America
They came by thousands to court the wild
And she just patiently smiled and bore a child
To be their spirit and guiding light

. . .

And though the past has it's share of injustice
Kind was the spirit in many a way
But it's protectors and friends have been sleeping
Now it's a monster and will not obey

John Kay & Steppenwolf circa 1969