Wednesday, January 10, 2007

"24"

"24" begins a new season this Sunday night. Two hours Sunday and two hours Monday. A while back, I wrote about how good a show it is, and then wrote back after watching the 1st season in reruns to apologize because it was so sexually explicit. Well, I must confess: We continued to watch it -- and we are now caught up. And while the show is very violent, it has been rather tame sexually. But it is a riviting show! And Jack Bauer (Kiefer Sutherland) is THE MAN!

I saw an article yesterday previewing this season's show. It then talked about the whole premise of "24." It closed with these words:
"24" is a wildly idealized view of our nation's response to the threat of terrorism on our soil, yet -- even within the series' tidy 24-hour window -- it has thus far withheld easy answers and happy endings. Jack Bauer, the nation's point man for homeland security, is valiant but steadily unraveling.

So "24" triumphs as a series it surely never set out to be: an exceptional adventure about lowered expectations. Its message is clear: Prevailing is too much for a nation to hope for. At the end of the day, endurance will have to do."

Those last two sentences really caught my attention as a person of faith. As we battle Satan, we know that ultimately we will win. But prevailing in this life may be too much for us as Christians to hope for. So, at the end of the day, endurance will have to do. That so describes my day-in, day-out journey. How about you?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

First let me say that your excitement about "24" makes me curious. I've never seen the show, but may have to check it out. On the other hand, I may sound very wimpy to admit that I'm looking forward to the return of "American Idol" next Tuesday.

Concerning your conclusion, it's interesting you made those remarks because I just recently taught a class where we discussed such things. I won't go into too much detail, but remember in John 13 when Jesus says (paraphrased), "You've been washed completely, now just keep your feet clean." What does it mean? Maintain! Daily Spiritual maintenance, tune-ups, consultations, etc.... These things will promote endurance.

God bless you!

Jeff said...

I was told by a good source that NASCAR starts in a few weeks. No (intended) voilence, no sex (except for a few crowd shots of skimpily-clad women), just good wholesome fun. You should get in on it.

I read a story once about a guy who was running a race, knowing he would have to battle through the race and endure the obstacles in an effort to win. I think we have to endure this earthly life with the right focus on our purpose so we can win the race and receive the prize.

Anonymous said...

A very wise man has told me on several occasions how much he appreciates those who just consistently show up - for worship, for bible study, for service. Sometimes it not the big things, as the world counts bigness, but consistency and endurance in what the world thinks are little things.

Unknown said...

Endurance=Fight the good fight+ Finish the race+Keep the faith=crown of righteousness.:)

Amy C said...

Good comments on endurance.

I love "24." We have only missed one episode since it started and that is with an old fashioned VCR. Now that is commitment.

We should daily fixate on committing ourselves the finishing, and enduring the race set before us, even when it hurts and the odds seem against us, as our lives, and the lives of those around us do depend on it. I think that is what drives us to excellence.

Maybe that is why I enjoy watching Jack battle it out every week.