Tuesday, August 22, 2006

What Ever Happened to Common Sense and Manners?

Yesterday I shared about our wonderful trip to the Northeast. Today, I want to make some cynical observations (with my tongue half planted in my cheek).

I know we are not to judge other people's motives. Still, I sometimes struggle with that. Such as, on an airplane -- right before taxiing or right after landing, what's with those few people who want to talk on their cell phones so loudly that no one around them can think? I truly believe I have a sign on my back that only such people can see. It says: "Please speak loudly on your cell phone when in my presence." Whether it is an airplane seat or a movie theater -- I will inevitably be seated right next to or in front of this person. Maybe I'm just not "with the times" -- but it seems to be such boorish behavior.

And what's with no manners these days? I'm on an elevator or on the subway. I go to get off. But before I can get off -- a pack of four or five people want to get on. Uh, is it just me, or doesn't it just make common sense that those getting on should first allow people to get off? "Let's all pack into this elevator and see how difficult we can make it for you to then weave your way out."

One last one. We live in America! In America, you travel on the right. Why, whether walking on a sidewalk or down an aisle or some other confined space, do people walk down the left -- and expect others to just stop in thier steps to avoid a collision?

Just some observations. I'm thinking about preaching on this, once I can come up with a Scripture that will support me.

9 comments:

jenny biz said...

One of my pet peevers like this is walking in a grocery store - It is CLEARLY marked EXIT and ENTER. Why do people still come in the exit and out the enter???? My husband is a culprit of this but I think he does it just to bug me:)
Yea, when you find that scripture let me know:):)
Now, I need to get to back to my bible study and prayer time:)

Rick Ross said...

My comment about finding a Scripture was meant as a joke. I know there is nothing to support preaching on such a topic. It was an attempt at self-depreciating humor.

jenny biz said...

I was joking also! Dad, at least we get each other:) You know-your FAVORITE child.

Anonymous said...

You forget what part of the country you were in. People from different regions have different "ways" about them. I see it every semester in my classes with my feeble attempts at humor.

Rick Ross said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Rick Ross said...

Kevin,

There is no doubt some truth to that. However, I have not found it any different here in Texas when it comes to most of those things. Beverly and I actually found the people in the Northeast to be extremely kind and helpful. Due to what we had heard, we were pleasantly surprised.

Dennis,

I had never thought of it quite that way. You may be on to something.

Anonymous said...

Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.

Jeff said...

I enjoy walking on the wrong side to watch people's expressions. I'm the same way when driving too. :)

Liz Moore said...

I know exactly what you mean...I think we have lost some of the common courtesies we have always taken for granted. People don't wave in the car much anymore when you let them go by. And I can't tell you how many times a door shuts in my face as someone walks in ahead of me and just lets the door go. (no, it's not Chris :) I hate it when you're in a restaurant and people talk so loudly that everyone in the restaurant can hear their conversation. Maybe people just need Jesus more now a days. I guess all we can really do is show others Jesus and those common courtesies whether they do it or not.