Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Today I want to ask you to be praying for a couple of things for Beverly and me. We have been praying for a while that the Lord would bring a buyer to our house. While we have loved our house, it is a constant reminder to me of the nightmare of the last couple of years. So, request #1: We have a showing today. Pray that the Lord will let these people be the buyers.

Request #2: I begin a new class tonight at Amberton -- teaching the Gospel of John to at least 15 students. Many of them will not be believers at all. So, please pray that their hearts might be touched with the message of Jesus.

Now, here's one I want your feedback on. I'm reading about when Moses struck the rock (Numbers 20: 1-15). Of course, this cost him a trip to the Promised Land. My question is 2-fold, and I think I know the 1st one, but just want to hear what you might say: 1. What is it exactly that Moses and Aaron did to incure such a punishment? 2. What application, if any, might this have for us today? (I wish John WIllis or David Wallace were readers of my blog).

BLESSINGS!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rick, Isn't it wonderful to have the time to read and explore the deeper meanings of the stories we have always taken for granted?
Requests 1 & 2 are in the books. (John is my favorite gospel. I taught it for several years in school).
Question 1: Besides the obvious "speak vs. strike" view, I think the problem is found in vs. 10 when Moses takes credit for producing the water (must "we" bring you....). I could elaborate, but I understand this to be the real issue.
Question 2: If I am correct in my understanding of question 1, then we must be careful not to take credit for God's handiwork. He causes the increase - not me.
"Do I make you mine enemy by telling you the truth" (Carl)

Rick Ross said...

I like your answers. The last sentence dredges up some bad memories of the past. Come to think of it -- there is a resemblance (jk!)

Jeff said...

Rick, your prayer requests have been offered to God. I know a buyer will come when the time is right.

Regarding your questions:
First, he disobeyed. God didn't say anything about striking the rock. From there, I wonder what caused him to strike the rock. He obviously was a man of great faith so why didn't he follow God's command? I wonder if his frustration with the people didn't cause him to act (or react) in an ungodly manner. I look at how I act with my kids at times. They frustrate me and when I lose my temper, I don't treat them as God would treat me. My attitude becomes ungodly and my kids don't see the example they should. I hope the punishment is not that I will not enter the Holy Land I long for but I do feel a punishment when I later go back and apologize to my children for my behavior.