Thursday, September 15, 2005

Slow Me Down

I'm teaching a men's class on Wednesday night. We're studying David. Last night, I took us to a number of psalms he wrote in his early years. One of them has really convicted me. Here is an exerpt from Psalm 8: "When I consider your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place, what is man that you are mindful of him, the son of man that you care for him?"

It made me think: How long has it been since I have taken the time to do that? To stop this crazy merry-go-round of life, and pause to stare into the heavens and ponder the unponderable. I need that! Don't you? I think I will plan real soon to drive away from the city lights and sit under the stars and "consider the heavens." I'm betting that it will put things in perspective.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

be still and know

Anonymous said...

While you were reading Psalm 8, I was thinking of Acts 17 (for whatever reason).

24"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. 25And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else. 26From one man he made every nation of men, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he determined the times set for them and the exact places where they should live. 27God did this so that men would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from each one of us. 28'For in him we live and move and have our being.'

Jeff said...

One of the joys of living in Decatur is the absence of tall buildings. From my house, I can see beautiful sunsets and the stars twinkling in the sky. I see rabbits and deer and once a very confused turkey. I laugh when I hear my son repeat that concrete is evil - I've told him that because too much of the world is concrete now and not enough of God's handiwork is seen by people. I love my time fishing in the mountains because I can partake in the beauty God made. And through all of that, I know that He made me too. I really have to stop to see the beauty in people but when I do - when I see the giving nature of the people at our church, when I hear about the things done for others with no credit wanted, when I see the acts of love and kindness between my brothers and sisters - I see the real beauty of God.

Bev Ross said...

Hey - can I go? I need a moment to stare into the heavens -- with a good-lookin' man! Friday or Saturday?