Tuesday, September 27, 2005

No Stone Is Gonna Outpraise Me!

Sunday morning, Craig Jordan was sharing some thoughts before we partook of the Lord's Supper. He took us to a passage that has meant a lot to me in recent years. It is found in the story of Jesus' Triumphal Entry to Jerusalem. Luke 19: 37 says that the people began joyfully to praise God in loud voices. The Pharisees told Jesus that He needed to rebuke the people. Jesus said (v. 40): "I tell you, if they keep quiet, the stones will cry out."

I have had church experiences where there were people who too closely resembled the Pharisees in this story. They run to the elders or me: "We need to tone things down! Stop this praising! It's getting out of hand!" Bless their hearts. If they could only come to understand that when you've been touched by the Savior -- you're going to "begin joyfully to praise God!" Worship to the Lord is not a funeral service. If there were a casket for Jesus up front -- it would be empty! And so, we must praise!

Church: Don't let the stones take our place in praising God. Let what is so natural flow forth. He is so awesome! And He is so worthy!

2 comments:

Jeff said...

I wonder if those words are as challenging for others as they are for me. I appreciate the example of the empty casket - it is so, so true. I'm not an outwardly expressive person (if you haven't figured that one out) yet I could fill the joy flowing through me Sunday listening to the message. God is using you to deliver His powerful message and I appreciate your desire to be His servant.

Bev Ross said...

You know I love that verse! As long as my feet walk on this earth, I NEVER want to hear a stone! My heart's desire is to be a praiser! Thank you so much for the thoughts! The empty casket analogy is powerful! I hope I can sit a little still Sunday! I love you, Rick; thanks for sharing!