Thursday, December 18, 2008

An Incredible Thought

Last night in our men's class, we were talking about how God can only use us when we are broken and surrendered to Him.  We talked about John 15, where Jesus speaks of Himself as the Vine -- and us as the branches.  We bear HIS fruit -- as we allow Him to again live His life through us.

Sometimes we can talk about a concept so much that it becomes too common.  Maybe we have done that with the idea of Jesus "living in us."

Then we read another verse that I have read many times through the years.  But it struck me with renewed meaning last night.  Here it is:  

His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness.  Through these he has given us his very great and precious promised, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption in the world caused by evil desires.  2 Peter 1: 3-4

Participate in the divine nature?  That is an incredible thought!  That God would invite me to do that?  WOW! 

2 comments:

Jeff said...

It boggles my mind that there are times I rather live for my own purpose than participate in the divine nature of God. I can't help but wonder how weak I am to give into evil instead of living in the joy of God.

To think about participating in His nature is an incredible thought. Thank you for sharing that.

Josh Ross said...

I'm sure that led to a great conversation.
Or maybe it was one of those silent "Ah-Hah" moments.