Thursday, May 31, 2007

Taking Things Too Far

A couple of years ago I first heard Tim McGraw's song, "Live Like You Were Dyin'". It's the story of a man who finds out he is dying, so he decides to really live. The chorus: "I went skydivin', I went Rocky Mountain climbin', I went 2.7 seconds on a bull named Fu Manchu. And I loved deeper and I spoke sweeter and I watched the eagle as it was flying."

I made the mistake of telling my family that I wanted to live more like that. And I really do.

So, on vacation two years ago, I did the bungie-seat thing -- where you are rocketed up into the stratosphere and turn loops, etc. That was a big step for me -- because I'm not crazy about heights.

Well yesterday, my son issued another dare. Beverly and I will be in Houston next week where I will be speaking at both my boys' churches (one on Wednesday night and one on Sunday). Jonathan informed me that he and Josh are going skydiving on Friday. He tried to shame me into joining them. Sorry, I just can't do that.

I did offer to take care of their wives and children after Friday.

4 comments:

Jeff said...

How hard can it be? Besides, there's probably a great sermon series that will come from lessons learned hurtling through the air wondering when and if the fabric above you will work properly. I say go for it!

Anonymous said...

I think of this adventure as just another way to experience God's beautiful creation. :)

-Josh

Jonathan said...

hopefully that beautiful creation includes a parachute that opens...if not for some reasons things go awry, i have begun practicing my rolls as i hit the ground to avoid direct contact.

Bev Ross said...

Jonathan, you totally crack me up! Hey, I will be there with my camera so...smile no matter what. Look good for the camera!