Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Founding Fathers

I hope you all had a wonderful 4th of July. I did. Beverly and I (mainly Beverly) got some projects accomplished at the house. More pictures hung. But the best thing: MY CAR IS NOW IN THE GARAGE! This is one of the best signs that we are officially moved in to a house. There isn't a day goes by that Beverly and I don't thank the Lord that we are in Decatur.

Every 4th of July I am again reminded of what an incredible group of men the Lord brought together 230 years ago to birth this nation. I wonder what our founding fathers would think about us today. Would they be proud of their "kids"? Or would they be ashamed?

I sometimes think those same thoughts about Jesus, Peter, Paul, etc. Would they be proud of where the church is today? What would they commend? What would make them sad?

I think I know at least some of the answers to both.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe as probably many people do, that the founding fathers would be ashamed of how this great country has abused seperation of church and state. There is no evidence that they wished for us to block all references to God and church in our schools and courthouses.

Jeff said...

I think in both instances, there would be an appreciation for many great things that have been done and some disappointment that so many problems haven't changed much.

Anonymous said...

I think Jesus told us pretty clearly what would disappoint him. "I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, 21that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you."