Thursday, June 22, 2006

My Youngest Turns 23!

After work today, Beverly and I are heading back to Houston to see our grandson (oh, yeah -- also his mom and dad). Can't wait!

Speaking of his dad, Sunday is his birthday. My youngest turns 23. And since I won't be blogging tomorrow, I want to send out his birthday blog.

Twenty-three years ago today, Beverly was in the hospital. She had gone into labor, but we were told by her on-call OB-Gyn that the baby was far too small for delivery. In fact, he had said that if the baby was born now, it would have to be immediately life-flighted to Houston. So, Beverly had been put in the hospital to stop her labor. She and I were scared -- thinking something might be wrong.

Well, on June 25th, the baby came. 7 lbs, 8 ozs. A beautiful baby boy. I was able to be more involved in his birth than with our 1st two, and the attending nurse placed him in my arms only seconds after he was delivered. It was really special.

When Jonathan turned 3, Beverly returned to school to finish her Elementary Education degree. I was working shiftwork at the time, so it was just Jonathan and me quite often. We had some good times together -- going to the beach, watching reruns of High Chaparral.

And now he's grown. Married to a wonderful woman. And -- a daddy! He will be a wonderful daddy. Jed has a head-start with the parents God has blessed him with.

I am so proud of the man Jonathan has become. He has a sense of humor that keeps me in stitches. And to watch him lead a congregation in worship to our Lord gives me goosebumps -- as well as a lump in my throat.

Our other two kids tell me that Jonathan can get away with more than they can. Maybe that comes with being the youngest. It is interesting: When they come to visit, he walks in the door -- and the TV remote becomes his property for the duration of their visit. Sports Center, Around the Horn and PTI. But to tell you the truth, I enjoy watching them with him.

So, happy birthday, son! Your daddy is so proud of you. What a blessing you continue to be in your mother's and my life.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Jonathan! Our times together has always been a blessing! But I think you and I will agree -your dad's "being the youngest" remark was WAY over the top! Who always gets the hand-me-downs? Who get's to be the living doll for the older siblings? Who get's called "fog-horn" (that one's probably unique to a rare few).
High Chaparral? "Go punch them doggies Blue Boy." says Monalito.

Anonymous said...

I agree John. It is a tough job being the youngest (although I can say that I have never been called fog-horn). I hope to see you again soon.

Dad, thanks for the blog. I thank my Father everyday for having been blessed with a father as you are. I hope to pass this on to Jed. Love you and look forward to eating some popcorn tonight.

Anonymous said...

I agree John. It is a tough job being the youngest (although I can say that I have never been called fog-horn). I hope to see you again soon.

Dad, thanks for the blog. I thank my Father everyday for having been blessed with a father as you are. I hope to pass this on to Jed. Love you and look forward to eating some popcorn tonight.

Bev Ross said...

Happy, Happy, Jonathan! I love you so much and am so proud of you! Can't wait to see you tonight!!!

Liz Moore said...

Happy Birthday Jonathan! It has been a blessing to watch you grow into such a Godly man, husband and father. Love ya!