Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Reflecting on Memorial Day 

I intended to write a blog yesterday, but got started in the yard early and didn't finish until after dark. I am soooo sore this morning!

Yesterday was a wonderful day! We had Malaya (our granddaughter) all weekend. Then her parents, Jenny and David, came for burgers late afternoon. Beverly had gone to the store and bought a new patio table and chairs, so we ate outside. It was just really nice.

One of the nice things was that, as I worked in the yard, I had a lot of time to reflect on Memorial Day. We are such a blessed people! Obviouly, blessed by God! But we also owe so much to men and women who have made the ultimate sacrifice to assure us the freedoms that we enjoy. America has a lot of faults, no doubt. Ironically, many of our problems come with the fact that we are a democracy and a free society. Which means that things won't always go the way I might want them to. People may make cholces that don't coincide with my moral system.

But I kind of think that when we get too caught up in that, it might mean that we are living for -- and in -- the wrong kingdom. I am very proud to be an American. But I am 1st and foremost a citizen of the Kingdom of God.

So, God bless America! But of much greater significance: May God's Kingdom increase!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Amen and right on!

Have a great day.