Monday, January 04, 2010

A Little Football with a Dash of Tozer

This has been one of the coldest winters on record for our area of the country. I'm going to go into withdrawals if I don't get to play golf soon! There was a time I might have played in mid-30s temperatures -- but not now. And the forecast is calling for the most bitter weather yet by late in the week.

This has led to a more sedentary lifestyle. The last several days have been spent sitting around the fire reading or watching football. I'm afraid to get on the scale.
____________________

The Cowboys beat the Eagles in impressive fashion yesterday. Can they beat them three times in a season? I wish the seeding in the playoffs didn't result in playing a divisional team in round 1. This seems to happen to the NFC East quite a bit.

I wonder what happens to Wade if the Cowboys don't win next week?
____________________

Tonight TCU has an opportunity to prove if they belong in the discussion of being a national championship contender. Their bowl opponent is unfortunate. I can't help but wonder if the "big boys" are afraid to find out if this team can hang with them or not.
____________________

Here's a little Tozer to begin your New Year with:

And the Scripture was fulfilled which says, "Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness." And he was called the friend of God. --James 2:23

After all, what higher privilege and experience is granted to mankind on earth than to be admitted into the circle of the friends of God?...

It is well for us to remember that Divine-human friendship originated with God. Had God not first said "You are My friends," it would be inexcusably brash for any man to say, "I am a friend of God." But since God claims us for His friends, it is an act of unbelief to deny the offer of such a relationship....

The spiritual giants of old were those who at some time became acutely conscious of the presence of God. They maintained that consciousness for the rest of their lives....


2 comments:

Jeff said...

I really like the concept of Tozer's last line...one I hope to live out the rest of my life.

Anonymous said...

Rick, Thanks for the tribute to Woody. As I think back to over 20 years ago, there are two people that are responsible for Amanda and I 'landing' at the Grace Street church. Brenda Craycraft, who made us feel part of the body even before we moved to Crockett, and Woody Woodson.

You may not remember it, but not long after we moved to Crockett, during the first week or so, you took me visiting. The last place we visited was Woody and Louise. As we toured their beautiful farm land I noticed that there was a peace about him. I saw his confidence in the Lord, his gentle demeanor, his soft heart, his faith and assurance, all characteristics of a Godly leader, under whom I eagerly wanted my family to serve.

Nearly twenty years later, he still lived that way. If Woody was anything, he was consistent in the living of his faith, which is what we should all strive for. Thank you God for Woody and the living example he left for us.

We miss him greatly as well, and feel a tremendous void at Grace Street. I can still hear his prayers too, always "grateful and thankful" for the blessings of life. Our prayers are for Louise and her family.

Heb 13:7

"Remember your former leaders, who spoke God's message to you. Think back on how they lived and died, and imitate their faith."
TEV

Your Brother in Christ,
Wayne Mask
mask@txcom.net