Thursday, February 07, 2008

"I Believe in Prayer"

I don't want to be a Pharisee -- a nitpicker. Yet I know that is my tendency sometimes. For instance, I can't stand when people say "Revelations" instead of "Revelation." John had one revelation -- and that is what he wrote down. But I digress into my Phariseeism already.

Here is the thing. And if I am being nit-picky please tell me. I was listening to Good Morning America this morning. They were interviewing a couple who had been caught in an avalanche -- and survived (obviously, or they would not have been interviewing them:)) The man said that he thinks pray delivered them. He then said something to the effect of "I really believe in prayer. Whoever you pray to -- pray!"

I hear Christians say, "I believe in prayer." Or "Prayer works." I know what they are saying, but for some reason it bothers me. Hindus believe in prayer. Muslims believe in prayer. Buddhists believe in prayer. Wiccans believe in prayer. Is that all that is necessary is to believe in prayer? For some reason, it leaves me with a feeling of human achievement -- like WE have accomplished something because we pray.

I believe in Jehovah. And I believe He hears my prayers. And I am becoming more and more convinced that the main accomplishment of prayer is to shape my will to His. Prayer is not like a magic potion or an amulet. Prayer does not obligate God to obey my directives. Prayer is to humble me.

So, am I being nit-picky?

3 comments:

Jeff said...

I think when people say they believe in prayer, they are indicating they believe in a higher power who hears their prayers and will answer their prayers. I take their statement to mean they have faith.

I also think there are several revelations within the revelation. I also like the little drummer boy and NASCAR so take my opinions for whatever they are worth. :) (Just to be safe - humor intended.)

Josh Ross said...

Good thoughts. You are right on with the idea "prayer isn't about changing God, but God changing us."

Jonathan said...

Interesting concepts.