Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Quoting Nouwen

Henri Nouwen, from his book Wounded Healer, wrote that a minister's service "will not be perceived as authentic unless it comes from a heart wounded by the suffering about which he speaks . . . The great illusion of leadership is to think that others can be led out of the desert by someone who has never been there."
_______________

Congratulations to two Mesquite schools for making it to the State Quarterfinal championship: Mesquite Horn in 5A and Mesquite Poteet in 4A. My son Josh led Poteet further into the playoffs than any team other than this years (I just had to work that in).

But help me figure this out: Horn is playing Longview in the TEXAS Quarterfinal game. And where will this game be played? Shreveport, Louisiana! Huh?


2 comments:

Jeff said...

I put much more stock in the words and advice of someone who I know has suffered because I know where those words come from. I wish it wasn't that way. On the other hand, it was through the suffering of Jesus that I am saved. Maybe there's something to be learned there.

A little football. A little riverboat gambling. School administrators looking for a weekend out on the town?

Anonymous said...

Dad and I went to the Poteet game on Saturday. Thought about how fun it was to watch Josh at Texas Stadium!

Matt Bryan