Monday, May 19, 2008

Monday Morning Musings

My son Josh and his wife Kayci and my grandson Truitt are coming today to spend a few days with us before they head off to Memphis where they will begin their ministry with the Sycamore View Church of Christ. They are such a gifted couple, and I am very proud of them. The Southwest Central church in Houston has been so good to them over their two years there. I pray that their transition in ministry goes well.

I still find it hard to believe that I have been here in Decatur for over three years now. God is SO good. After I nearly gave up on ministry due to my prior experience, the Lord directed me to a place that has been incredibly affirming of Beverly and me. Because of the difficult season we went through several years ago, it has made me more appreciative of this wonderfully affirming group of believers. I've said it in the past, but it seems more relevant with the passing of time: Normally a preacher experiences a honeymoon period of about 6 months to a year (this is probably why some preachers move around so much). Well, after three years, we STILL feel like we are in our honeymoon stage.

We are SO blessed!
____________________

Tonight is game 7 between San Antonio and New Orleans. I can't decide who I am for. I'm kind of tired of the Spurs being in the finals. It seems like everyone has been saying for years that they are too old. Yet, every year at crunch time -- here they are. New Orleans is interesting because they are fresh faces. And them being this far helps in some small way to vindicate the Mavs.
____________________

Kenny Perry, a professional golfer who is also a deacon in the Church of Christ in Franklin, Kentucky (I think that is the name of the town) was in a playoff for yesterday's tournament. His second shot to the par 5 18th (1st playoff hole) hit a pine tree far to the right of the green, ricocheted across the green -- nearly hitting the pin, and ended up in the water on the left side. Talk about bad luck! Oh, well. I am glad to see he is getting back on his game after some extensive surgery a couple of years ago.

Beverly and I are planning to go to the Colonial this Friday. Maybe we will follow him around some. When he walks by, I think I'll say, "Hey Kenny! 728B. Acts 2:38." He will immediately know what we have in common:)

2 comments:

Jeff said...

3 years have flown and it's been a very, very good 3 years.

I've only seen the highlights of the NBA playoffs but I hope New Orleans wins. I rather watch Chris Paul than Tony Parker if I'm going to watch.

I saw a glimpse of the golf shot this morning but didn't realize who it was. I hope he has better luck in Ft. Worth. Didn't he win Colonial a few years ago?

Rick Ross said...

He has won it twice in recent years.