Thursday, December 14, 2006

The Value of Being Wounded

We have talked in the past about the fallacy of the "health and wealth gospel." Today's comments by Tozer address this -- and I think he is right on the mark:

Before I was afflicted I went astray, but now I keep Your word.... It is good for me that I have been afflicted, that I may learn Your statutes.
--Psalm 119:67,71

It is amazing to me! There are people within the ranks of Christianity who have been taught and who believe that Christ will
shield His followers from wounds of every kind.

If the truth were known, the saints of God in every age were only effective after they had been wounded. They experienced the humbling wounds that brought contrition, compassion and a yearning for the knowledge of God. I could only wish that more among the followers of Christ knew what some of the early saints meant when they spoke of being wounded by the Holy Spirit....

In every generation, the people who have found God have been those who have come to the end of themselves. Recognizing their hopelessness, they have been ready to throw themselves on the mercy and grace of a forgiving God.
Men Who Met God, pp. 59,62

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is the affliction under consideration physical, emotional, or spiritual?

Jeff said...

I tend to think it could be one or any combination. Affliction in any of those areas can allow the devil to attack us and make us focus on ourselves and turn our thoughts and focus away from God.