Friday, December 01, 2006

The Dark Night of the Soul

Have you ever experienced what has been referred to as "The Dark Night of the Soul"? I have -- and I don't like those times at all. If you have, you can probably relate to Tozer's words today:

How long, O Lord? Will You forget me forever? How long will You hide Your face from me?
--Psalm 13:1

Some of you know something of that which has been called "the dark night of the soul." Some of you have spiritual desire and deep longing for victory but it seems to you that your efforts to go on with God have only brought you more bumps and more testings and more discouragement. You are tempted to ask, "How long can this go on?"...

Yes, there is a dark night of the soul. There are few Christians willing to go into this dark night and that is why there are so few
who enter into the light. It is impossible for them ever to know the morning because they will not endure the night. I Talk Back to the Devil, 80-81.

As I said, I don't like those "Dark Nights." But it does seem that with each one, I come through with clearer eyes and a hungrier heart.

4 comments:

Jeff said...

I believe I have been there. Too often, it has probably been self-inflicted. As I have come through them though, I feel I see the power of God clearer and clearer.

I don't want to go through another dark night, ever, but I do know that God will pull us through the darkness if we reach for Him.

Anonymous said...

Although those dark nights are never easy, I am thankful for the closeness I feel to God during those times. Even though I don't know the answers or reasons why, or if and when it will end, my faith grows stronger with each dark night. And for that I am thankful.

Anonymous said...

Dark tiems will come and we can weather them not by ourselves but by the spirit of Jesus within us. On the plane ride to and from Atlanta I read Rubel Shelly's "The Names of Jesus" and found it awesomely comforting. Recommended.

Unknown said...

Ah yes, the dark night I am familiar with.

The dark increases my love for the Light! Forever will I love the Light because of the darkness! Forever will I run to the Light because of the darkness!