Thursday, April 06, 2006

Busy, Busy

Busy. I'm guilty. Beverly and I have many talks about our need to slow down. But we don't seem to be making any progress.

It really hit me the other day. I asked a guy if he would like to study the Bible. He said yes. So, I said, "OK, when could we get together?" And I realized that I didn't have one evening open. Wow!

Some people wear their business like a badge, as if it gives them a sense of importance. That is not why I am writing this today. I think to be too busy is a negative character trait rather than something to be admired.

Henry Nouwen once wrote: "There is seldom a period in which I do not know what to do, and I move through life in such a distracted way that I do not even take the time and rest to wonder if any of the things I think, say or do are worth thinking, saying or doing."

And Charles Swindoll observed (I am paraphrasing here), "We more often resemble a stampeding herd of cattle than a flock of sheep grazing beside still waters."

Oh, I don't want to be that! But I am.

God, help me to develop the discipline to be still and know that You are God.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm reminded of a Pink Floyd song

So you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking. Racing around to come up behind you again. The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older. Shorter of breath of one day closer to death.

Jeff said...

This week has'nt been slow but slower and I appreciate them when they come around. I've slowed down in my work hours long enough to replace them with other hours. Fortunately, many of them are spent with a part or all of my family.

Rick, I think you should work more Pink Floyd into your sermons and I give Andy the Best Blog Response award for getting the band mentioned