Friday, September 19, 2008

Religious Beliefs

The Tigerless Ryder Cup begins today.  On paper, it doesn't look good for team USA.  But maybe Tiger's absence will inspire the others to play better.  I don't know if I can take another Sergio Garcia strut and gloat session.
____________________

Baylor University conducted a religious survey in 2007 and the results have just been published.  Among their findings:
55 percent of respondents said they have been protected from harm by a guardian angel.
16 percent said they have received a miraculous physical healing.
Over the past six decades, the percentage of atheists has stayed at about 4 percent.  Recent books by atheists became best sellers because there are more than 12 million atheists who are potential buyers of such books.
82 percent said they are "absolutely sure" or "pretty sure" that heaven exists.
Traditional Christian religion decreases belief in such things as UFOs, the Loch Ness monster and Bigfoot -- while education has relatively little effect.  

2 comments:

Josh Ross said...

Interesting study.

Jeff said...

What's the Ryder Cup?

Just kidding.

I'm wondering what the purpose of the study was and how they identified the target group.

I'm in favor of miraculous healing.
I believe in heaven.
I think I've seen a UFO but maybe it wasn't.
I was surprised Baylor has college classes on Wednesday nights. Did they forget it was "church night"?