Tuesday, October 12, 2004

Judging Others

I'm guilty. It is a subtle habit that can grab hold and -- before you know it -- you become a critic. You know what other people are thinking. You know their motives. You can read their minds.

What I have painfully discovered is that what I often do is project what I would be thinking onto other people. And sadly, it says a lot more about me than it does about them.

Jesus teaches me a difficult lesson about being judgmental in Luke 6. He does it by painting a humorous picture of a man trying to take a speck out of someone's eye when he has a log sticking out of his own eye. It reminds me of the cartoon that was popular when I was growing up -- Mr. Magoo. Mr. Magoo was extremely near-sighted. Can you imagine him doing lasik surgery? Trying to fix someone else's eyes? That's what I'm like when I judge others. I'm so near-sighted (focused on me). Yet, I'm going to try to deal with someone else's problem. The results could be disastrous for both of us.

I have decided I want out of the judgment business. I am asking the Holy Spirit to deliver me from this burden. And I am also asking you who know me to hold me accountable. Judgmentalism just doesn't wear very well. It certainly doesn't carry with it the aroma of Christ. Plus, it's a job that's too big for any of us.

No comments: