Wednesday, August 13, 2008

What a Story!

I came across the following quote from Edward Fudge that I found to be interesting:

He said some people "want a spiritual algebra book, full of precise formulas with exact answers in the back. But the Bible is instead a storybook -- the stories of God and his people. God creates people in relationship with him. People break relationship by sin. God seeks relationship through law. People break relationship by breaking law. God makes relationship with sinners through Jesus as a substitute and representative for People. People enjoy relationship with God through faith."

I used to be one of those people who carried my spiritual algebra book.  But more and more I am discovering that the Bible is a storybook -- the story of God's desire to have relationship with His ultimate creation.  That's not to say that there are not some exact answers and expected outcomes in it for us.  There are.  But from cover to cover -- it is a beautiful story! 
____________________

Beverly and I are headed to Crockett tonight where I will speak for their summer series.  I always love going back to where I began my ministry.  Many dear, dear people.   

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Why on earth do we seek a list of rules that will save us when we have the story and evidence of a loving God who gave his son up for our mistakes?