Monday, November 29, 2004

What Not to Tell a Job Applicant

Imagine you have gone in for a job interview. The interviewer tells you three things you can expect if you hire on: 1. You will not have financial security. 2. You will not be allowed off for funerals -- even if it's your own father's. And 3. you might as well kiss your family goodbye. Wow! Let me sign on the dotted line!

But you know what? Jesus basically says that's what we can expect if we follow him (Luke 9: 57-62). And I wrestle with his words. They sound foreign to us. It's certainly not what we expect as American Christians. Not many pulpits preach such a message.

Verse 62 says, "No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for service in the kingdom of God." I'm reminded again that the kingdom of God is counter-cultural. I know that I don't get it. But I want to! Oh, God -- help me to get it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a blessing that Jesus desires to share with us all the father has given him. Does that mean someday we will get it? I hope so.