Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Living Intentionally

I don't know about you, but my life is lived with so many different focuses (focii?). My future is caught up with worrying about my retirement funds, my health, etc. My present seems to have an attention span of about 15 minutes -- as I flit here and there with minimal concentration.

Then I read about this guy named Simeon in Luke 2. He is described as righteous and devout, and the Holy Spirit is upon him. The Spirit had told him that he would not die until he had seen Messiah. And it seems that had become the focus of his life. Apparently, he hung around the Temple courts -- checking out each male child as he was brought in to be dedicated.

Then one day, he sees a man and woman bringing in their baby. Could this be the one? He took the baby in his arms and praised God. His eyes have seen Messiah! His response? I'm paraphrasing, but he says, "Lord, you are faithful to your promise to me. I have seen Messiah and the salvation that will come through him. You may take me now, because my life is fulfilled."

Wow! I want to live with that kind of focus! To see the face of the Christ -- that is enough to fulfill me.

No comments: