Monday, September 13, 2004

I'm Too Old For This?

Next month, I turn 48. Sometimes I wonder how anyone can keep up with all of the new technology. Is it even worth the effort? I guess it must be -- or I wouldn't be "blogging" today.

So, I can relate to Zechariah. In Luke 1, the angel Gabriel comes to him whil he is ministering in the Temple. Gabriel tells him that he and Elizabeth are going to have a son. Zechariah's response (v. 18) is, "How can I be sure of this?" I am an old man and my wife is well along in yars." Because he questions the angel, Zechariah is struck mute until the birth of his son.

But later in the chapter (v. 26ff), Gabriel comes to Mary and tells her she will give birth to Jesus. Mary's response? "How can this be since I am a virgin?" Now, I ask you: Is Mary's response all that different from Zechariah's? Why isn't she struck mute? Where is the fairness here?

Could it be that more is expected from Zechariah because he is a minister -- a servant of God? God, help me to believe You when You speak -- no matter what You say!

No comments: