Thursday, April 15, 2010

Broken Things

I am reading Terry Rush's book, God Will Make a Way. It has been very helpful to me. I want to share a quote:

"The Lord is near to the brokenhearted, and saves those who are crushed in spirit. Many are the afflictions of the righteous; but the LORD delivers him out of them all." Psalm 34: 18-19

In Heart Held High, by Martha Snell Nicholson, we read these words:
We are now His broken things. But remember how He has used broken things; the broken pitchers of Gideon's little arm, the broken roof through which the paralyzed man was lowered to be healed, the broken alabaster box which shed its fragrance abroad and the broken body of our Savior"

Another quote, this from Paula D'Archy: "I know this, you can't die from crying . . . or I'd be dead."

And finally, Augustine: "Everywhere a greater joy is preceded by a greater suffering."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rick Kelley shared this verse a couple of weeks ago, and it just spoke to me:

Eccl 7:14
Enjoy prosperity whenever you can, and when hard times strike, realize that God gives one as well as the other-so that everyone will realize that nothing is certain in this life.
TLB

Is it wrong to just want the Lord to hurry back?

Wayne Mask

Jeff said...

I am still praying for you through the storm. Last night, Jacob read Psalm 71:20 that hit home for me, "Though you have made me see troubles, many and bitter, you will restore my life again; from the depths of the earth you will again bring me up." I believe God will bring me through my darkness but it has certainly been a painful road. I pray that His light will lead you too and you will find rest and peace in Him.

Wayne, I'm hoping for a speedy return too.

Rick Ross said...

To anonymous who posted to this blog at 7:34 PM on April 27: I do not post anonymous responses here. Further, I will not allow this blog to become a platform to promote atheistic thought. I cannot believe someone would be so insensitive as to write such things to a person who is in the middle of grieving the loss of a child.

I assure you that you will not change my mind, and I doubt very seriously that I would change yours. All I can say is someday we will see.

If you feel that you have been treated wrongly and would like to discuss this issue with integrity, you may email me at rross4@msn.com