Tuesday, April 04, 2006

"Church of Christ" Celebs

I came across an interesting website as a result of seeing a link from someone's comments on another website. It lists famous members of different religious groups, and you can access it at www.adherents.com. I'm not sure how up-to-date this information is, but it's still interesting. Here are some who were listed as members of the Church of Christ. Many of these you may already have known.

Texas senator John Cornyn, US Representative Ted Poe and Los Angeles mayor James Hahn lead the list of politicians.

Byron Nelson and Kenny Perry, both professional golfers, are very open about their faith.

Also, Kenneth Starr -- the lead independent counsel in Bill Clinton's impeachment proceedings.

In entertainment -- Dwight Yoakam, Randy Travis, Glen Campbell, Weird Al Yankovic, Roy Orbison, Meatloaf, The Cowsills (remember them? "Hair"), Loretta Lynn, Don WIlliams, Kitty Wells, and Marty Roe (lead singer, Diamond Rio).

Other sports figures: Fred McGriff, Gene Stallings, Bill Bates, Jim Ryun and Jim Morris (the baseball player depicted in the movie, "The Rookie."

Some of the names really took me by surprise, like Weird Al Yankovic and Meatloaf.

But here's the one who surprised me the most. I didn't list him above. Ready? Pat Sajak!

13 comments:

Stephen Bailey said...

Rick!
I was catching up on your blog this morning and I couldn't help but notice our thoughts are drifting to the same topics lately.
I too thought UCLA would win last night, but Florida played very well.
I can't wait for the Masters to begin. Absolutely a top 3 sporting event of the year for me (March Madness is a top three as well).
I saw the link to the famous CofCer's too and had never heard about Pat Sajak either. Of course I was also suprised to find that my name had somehow been overlooked for that list. What? I'm not famous enough? Crazy.
I think about Beverly and you often and pray that God is blessing you richly. Please give her my best.

Cassey said...

that is Very Interesting

Liz Moore said...

Wow!! Some of those I had heard of and some are really surprising! Pat Sajak surprises me too, but Meatloaf... I would have never guessed that in a million years!

Liz Moore said...

Well, I just went and looked at that website and I saw another one who was raised C of C that surprised me even more... Janis Joplin!! Oh my word!

jenny biz said...

I learned this past weekend that Ralph Machiano (the Karate Kid) has recently become a Christian (don't know what denomination, though)! I thought that was neat! And I got to shake hands this weekend with another new Christian, Steven Baldwin.

Amy C said...

I never hear the song pretty woman that I don't hear my parents in my head saying, did you know that he goes to the Church of Christ. I thought that was so funny. That list was fun.

Unknown said...

Weird Al Yankovic came to one of our youth rallies when I was in the youth group in CA. He used to date our church camp's nurse and she brought him down for a visit. :) Jimmy Hahn was a family friend and his granddaughter Katie was one of my closest friends in CA too... her family and her parents no longer attend the C of C. Can I be famous by association and add my name to the list??

Anonymous said...

I've been told in the past that Tre Cool (the drummer for Green Day) attended Harding, but I don't know for how long or if he was a Christian.

Anonymous said...

I have seen the website and many of those listed are members of the United Church of Christ.

Don said...

Cecil Cooper, baseball star and former manager of the Houston Astros attended the Fifth Ward CofC when in town for home games.

Anonymous said...

Pat Sajak is Roman Catholic. My cousin knows him, and they have attended mass together.

Unknown said...

just because you might attend mass doesnt mean you are Catholic, I am a member of Christ's church and would go to mass with my grandmother a lot because she loved when i went with her

Anonymous said...

Pat Sajak was married to a coc preacher's kid when he was a weather man in Nashville.He may have converted to catholic in his 2nd marriage.